Friday, May 17, 2013

Adrenaline, Self-Pity, M&M's,and Jesus

It's barely 9:00AM and already this is not my favorite day ever.  Seriously, can we go back to yesterday and have a do-over?  I know, there are laws of nature or physics or something that prevent it.  That's why I'm avoiding moving forward in today by blogging.  And eating. About a dozen strawberries, 4 Chips Ahoy cookies, a handful of peanut M&M's and a glass of Wild Cherry Pepsi (from my hidden stash of a 2ltr given to me for Mother's Day by my 16 year old), and I'm beginning to take the edge off.  I believe I have an issue with food.  It's like that BonJovi song....I'll be there for you....and it always is.  But I digress...

First of all we were supposed to be on a field trip today with our homeschool group.  With one kiddo on a fabulous once in an lifetime vacation adventure with her grandparents my other home educated child decided it would be much more fun to hang out with a friend than drive two hours with me, even to a destination she has been begging to visit.  I should have held my ground last night.  When the question was posed and the initial no due to plans today was handed down I should have remained unmoved by guilt at the tears.  I was hot and sweaty and dirty and tired as I tried to finish up my gardening for the day and instead of being the mom I took the easy route and let "fine, if that's what you want" slip out of my mouth.  Oh, the regret was almost instantaneous, but it was too late.  Now it is morning and instead of being an adult and telling myself it is a good lesson learned (stick with my instincts and do what I think is best instead of giving in to emotions - mine or my children's), I am prone to pout.  I can see how easily my flesh was manipulated and my enemy convinced me that I was REJECTED.  I have handed over so much power with that one word.  I'm quite sick of it.

The emotional attack (of my enemy or of my own flesh, I do not know) continues today.  Thoughts of my friends having a wonderful day and my being left out (which is my own fault) flood my mind, as unwelcome as they are.  They try and drag me to discouragement.  They whisper that I never have any fun.  That I'm just the cook/maid/laundress/teacher/gardener, work work work.  I know these are lies.  I know it.  But when I don't turn to the Lord and put my eyes on Jesus the troubles of today (oh how tiny they are, really) grow and grow until I cannot see anything else.  The gnawing tension and discontent is like hunger.  Another cookie might help.  Or 3.

The other big issue I'm wrestling with today involves my husband, my self image, and flat out fear.  You see, my man loves adrenaline.  Some guys play golf, watch football, or garden.  Not mine.  He loves flying - piloting a plane or riding one of his several motorcycles.  He's done the Richard Petty Nascar driving experience thing.  It's what he loves.  Me?  Not so much.  Over the years I have learned to enjoy his passions to a degree.  I love to go on rides with him on a certain motorcycle.  I have flown in the "right seat" on many occasions and tried to relax and enjoy his love of airplanes.  I still would rather be sitting by the pool engrossed in a book of theology or a homeschool catalog, or in the kitchen chopping and sauteing or baking up a "masterpiece" on any given day.  I do love my husband, though.  I want to be a part of the things that bring him pleasure and joy.

Many times I have tried to explain to God that it was different for me, this matter of choosing to enjoy what my husband enjoys.  After all, a woman might be bored to tears watching a baseball game, but I have often been completely terrified at the thought of getting in the plane or on the bike.  I gave myself a little bit of a pass.  About a year ago my man purchased a small motorcycle "for me" (although I suspect it was possibly more for our teenage sons).  He was so cute and excited about the idea of me learning to ride.  I played with it one afternoon out in the yard and then tried to ignore it.  Eventually I took the step of studying for and obtaining my learner's permit.  I did it without telling him because I was a little worried I would chicken out or fail.  I should have realized the studying/test taking part would be right up my alley.  That was the easy bit.

Now I am a permit holder, a bike owner, and I have opened a big can of worms for myself.  I am not one of those girls who grew up with a dirt bike or ATV.  I have no wealth of experience to draw from.  I have pulled the kiddos on sleds with my automatic 4-wheeler, and that's about it.  Learning how to start and stop and shift and brake and stay balanced and turn is completely overwhelming to me.  I feel like it takes 110% of my concentration and even then I might forget and accelerate accidentally.   Add into that my poor self image regarding my body - I'm not some cute 100 pound teenager.  Yes, I know, what do I expect if stress leads me to eat cookies and M&M's and my idea of fun is not going to the gym.  I get that.  It remains a very real factor for me that I look ridiculous on the thing, and it isn't a simple matter to just go buy a cool riding jacket for a full busted woman.  My head is also larger than my husbands, so now that my teenage son has apparently abused my expensive helmet without permission I cannot simply grab one of the many my husband owns and pop it on my big fat head.  I did order some riding boots a couple of years ago, and they saved my skin when we had an accident and I ended up in the road.  I'm so thankful for that.  But the silly things are made with no zipper or laces.  They are the right size, once I get my big feet with the high instep down into them, but that process is so labor intensive it could drive me to drink.  I persevere, and struggle into my gear and try to avoid looking in a mirror so I can pretend I look a little like one of those girls my son is fond of posting pictures of on their bikes on his fb page.  NOT.

I head out, all geared up, and am still afraid.  I cannot manage to get off of the concrete part of my driveway, much less all the way out to the road.  I can spend 30 minutes working on "start" and "stop" - and I mean literally a split second of go followed by an immediate halt.  My feet haven't even made it up to the pegs.  I am so stinking scared and lacking in confidence.  I feel like I am a disappointment and I'm stupid, and my flesh and my enemy get that whole thing cranked up and waves of insecurity wash over me like a flood.  I forget to pray.  It seems silly that Jesus would be interested in helping me with this insignificant "fun".

Which leads me right back to 9:00AM, stuffing my face and wanting to go back to bed and give up on this day.  So I sit down to write, knowing that often when I am too keyed up to sit and pray and read the Holy Spirit speaks softly to my heart as the words roll off of my fingers as smoothly as my man's tire on the road.  Peace starts to come.  The M&;M's and cherry Pepsi sit beside me with no tempting power.

I didn't choose how I was made.  If I had, I'm sure I would have been short, thin, adventurous, and FUN.  If that were the case, however, I wouldn't be ME.  When I was knit together by my Lord, it was with a purpose.  He made me wonderful.  Unique.  With the will to choose.

So for today, I can determine to stop the pity party over the field trip, and rejoice in the beautiful day and the opportunity to catch up on some work around here.  I can count as a blessing the rare moment of solitude for this mother of many.  I can remember that it is not my own will and way that my heart longs for, but His.  When it comes to be being a Motorcycle Mama, I can heed the advice of a good friend who offered me some perspective.  Maybe it's time I took that fear and gave it to the Lord, and determined to just jump in with both feet because my husband really loves this  Time to really trust God and cautiously move forward..  I can't see that I would ever willingly ride the R1, or do a wheelie.  I am a capable, intelligent woman; however, and surely I can learn to go on a little "toodle" once in a while.  I mastered the mower, with those little steering bars instead of a wheel.  It took a while, but I did it.  I drove 9 hours pulling a travel trailer for a family vacation and that was super scary for me, too.  I made it over the Abraham Lincoln Memorial Bridge, down to one lane (outside) due to construction, in the rain.  Even if I made it at less than 5 mph, I DID IT.  Even if truckers laughed at me pulled over to the side of the road to catch my breath after.  I DID IT.  I even manged to work up the courage to drive over that silly bridge to come home. Let me always remember that I was able to do it only by turning to His strength and power.

I know my Lord will help me.  When it comes to me being the kind of wife that brings joy to her husband His will is not in question.  When it comes to a life focused on Him, and not on my roller coaster emotions and false feelings of inadequacy and rejection, He's all in.  I might not walk away from this whole thing without being banged up.  Refining is hard.  Depending on Jesus, not on the temporary satisfaction of a full tummy, is a pursuit worthy of my energy.  If I have to have days like this every single day to drive me back to dealing with that, I will count it as joy.  He's not finished with me yet.  He's at work in me.  I am chosen.  I am smart,  I am kind.  I am important.

Have an adventure today.
D

4 comments:

  1. Yes, Life is an adventure no matter how you look at it. And as Daughter of the King Most High you have chosen the Adventure of a Life Time,walking down His trail! You are doing a fabulous job training up your children as Children of the King Most High, and He is pleased with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you friend. just the way you are. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also tempted to be sad about missing the field trip, due to my spooty sprained ankle. But I didn't give in. I cleaned my bedroom instead (let's face it - that NEVER gets done! It's the stashing room). It's nice to have it clean. ;)
    Remember too, that those skinny cute bodies are missing something. Beautiful children born to them. Years of having a loving husband at their side. Embrace that full-busted jacket as it is proof that you had the joy of holding (and probably nursing) sweet babies many times in your life. Skinny petite bodies don't usually come with those perks.
    I, too, am often comforted by writing. God works right through my fingers and many times, I find myself writing something only to stop and say, "Wow, where did THAT come from?"
    Enjoy your day, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What industry or occupation would benefit from a significant increase in consumer viewing
    of their private student loans for people strategy
    as its competitors, and redefine your plan of action
    is to hire a private student loans for people consultant.
    I think something that can stimulate your reader to perform the desired
    action. In the end, you will have an easier time learning the business with misleading information or a
    false representation, he may sue the promoters for fraud.


    my web-site; Student Loans for People with Bad Credit

    ReplyDelete

Followers