Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Taking the first step

Well, I've done it now.  I spoke to my friend, who just so happens to own a local gun shop.  She, by the way, is someone I just love.  She's about as tall as the 3rd graders she teaches in Sunday school every week (OK, maybe a LITTLE taller) but she is a fiesty bundle of energy and joy.  You have to smile when you are around her.  Don't you just love peope like that!  Ah, I am digressing...

I've explained my little project and asked for her help with my September adventure of choice.  I don't think I have every touched a "real" gun.  I'm not counting BB, pellet, or paintball shooters, which I have probably handled just by virtue of having 5 sons.  I don't have any idea if shooting is something I will enjoy.  A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away - my first house with my husband - I did play that Nintendo game:  Duck Hunt.  I played it a lot.   I can still hear it in my mind, the barking dog, the sound of my "shots".   If the fate of those ducks was any indication, "real" animals have nothing to fear from me!  I always thought that Nintendo gun needed to be calibrated or something.

  Recently I had the pleasure of talking with an old friend whose husband is quite an adventurer (if you are ever interested in going to Africa on a hunting safari ask me about his company).  I asked her about going with him.  Frankly I couldn't really picture it, she's so sweet and quiet and gentle.  Oh yeah, she's pretty petite as well.  Maybe I'm too tall to try shooting, lol.  Well, her face lit up like a Christmas tree as she told me how much fun it was.  That pretty much sealed it in my mind.  My pick for September is learning to shoot a gun.

I may have lost you completely with that one, but I'm trying it anyway!  So my gun shop owner pal is on board.  I have been instructed to come on over and she will get me started.  I have also been ordered, I mean asked, to report to a class at church, on September 27.  Who knew it, but the Practical Sports Shooting Ministry (I think that is what PSSM stands for, my hubby might arrange those letters a little differently!) has something going on that day, in September no less, for WOMEN ONLY.  How can I say no to that?

So, I guess I'll get started next week with this one.  I'm a little nervous - I only like to do things I'm good at, you know.  It has been proposed that I pursue obtaning a permit to carry a concealed weapon.  I might not even be saying that right, that's how much I know.  Ms. Gun Shop was, of course, very enthusiastic about that idea.  We'll have to see about that.   First I have to follow through with getting over there and seeing how the initial "session" goes!  I'll say this, if nothing else I am excited about having something in the works, and about any chance to hang out with some good friends!

I have a few other components to this 9 month project, with regard to reading and household things I need to accomplish.  Blogging about them; however, will have to wait for another day.  I hope you are seeking out an adventure of your own!

3 comments:

  1. Something you didn't know about me....I've owned a gun (.22 rifle to be exact) since I was twelve and, while I would never actually shoot an animal, I used to pretty good at shooting targets. So maybe there is something to the whole petite thing, huh? Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you will have fun! I'm so glad you are blogging now and you are certainly inspiring me to seek out my own adventures. I'll refrain from commenting on whether or not I have time to add one more thing, because isn't that the point - to make time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise.

    I think you'll enjoy it. I did. My Dad taught me a little about as youngster (Gasp! that's unheard of today I know ... but you have to remember how old I am! lol)

    It was a great experience. Best of luck to you on your adventure!

    Tami

    ReplyDelete

Followers